PHILIPPINES – On Friday, November 8, super-typhoon Haiyan (locally code-named Yolanda) made landfall in the Philippine islands leaving thousands of families displaced and in need of urgent help.
Worst hit was the coastal city of Tacloban on the island of Leyte with no building escaping damage and the entire city flattened in what is believed to be the world’s biggest typhoon in history to make landfall.
Authorities fear that in the city alone an estimated ten-thousand people may have perished as they come to grips with the entire extent of the damage. Many communication lines are still cut and roads inaccessible. Food,water, clothing, basic medicine and shelter is scarce and rescue organizations are scrambling to meet the needs of everyone affected.
Although the capital Manila may have been spared, the typhoon has affected the lives of millions in dozens of provinces throughout the central and southern regions of the Philippines.
Our Every Nation church in the Philippines, Victory, has opened up centers around the capital to accept donations and mobilize relief efforts to aid friends and family members from Victory Tacloban and the city government of Tacloban in particular.
How to help:
1. Give to the relief effort! Please follow this link to find out how you can give: http://victory.org.ph/yolanda-relief
3. Pray! Stay updated on our current on-the-ground relief efforts from our volunteers from “Tindog Tacloban” (Rise up Tacloban) at: https://www.facebook.com/tindogtacloban
1. Pray for wisdom and provision for our volunteers and leaders of Victory Tacloban who are working with the city mayor and other agencies in distributing relief to the city.
2. Please pray for relief for the victims of every other region in the Philippines that has been affected by the typhoon. Pray too that the nation of Vietnam and other neighboring countries may be spared from any further devastation as the typhoon heads their way.
3. Please also pray that the gospel message of love, hope and compassion will reach the hearts of many in this sensitive time.